Top 13 Destinations in Eastern Europe

Eastern Europe in a nutshell: Gorgeous girls, cheap beer, and old world charm.

What more could you want? This might just be the greatest region on the planet.

I’ve traveled to every country in Eastern Europe. It took around a dozen trips and several years, but I finally conquered it last summer. I’m not claiming to be an expert. I’ve been to some cities three times, but others I’ve completely passed by. As such, this is not fully comprehensive list, as it only features place I’ve personally been to. (You’ll notice an absence of Black Sea locations, for example). That said, objectivity and input from other globetrotters was very important when compiling this list.

Check out Top 10 Destinations in West Africa for my last regional run down.

Naughty Nomad’s

TOP 13 Spots in Eastern Europe!

;)

13. Transylvania, Romania

Brasov

Brasov

Why does it make the list?
From charming Brasov, to clubbing in Cluj, to Vlad Tepes’ (Dracula’s) haunting hometown of Sighișoara, Transylvania has a lot going for it. Romanian girls are the top tier of Eastern Europe, rivaled only Ukraine and Serbia.

Highlight?

Sighișoara during a snowy winter is quintessential Transylvania. The place is deserted and spooky as they come. Bring a date.

Bottom Line

Stay in Bucharest for the girls, but if you want to get a feel for real Romania, check out Transylvania.

12. Riga, Latvia

latvia_riga_saint_peters_church_wide_wallpaper-wide

Why it makes the list?
Riga is a party town. Despite some negative reviews from bloggers like Roosh (who wrote a guide book on how to get laid there), I maintain my love Riga. I’ve been there three times and I get giddy when I’m in town. While ethnic Latvian girls are no prize, the city is 50% Russian. As such, there are plenty of Grade-A gals about. Plus, it’s walkable and has an old town. The only reason it’s not higher in the ranking is because of the huge influx of tourists and British stage parties. Bring your A game.

Highlight?

I recommend Friendly Franks hostel and their pub crawl, Lido restaurant, and any rock bar in old town. Halloween is insane in Riga.

Bottom Line

If you’re just looking for a weekend away with the lads, you’ll have a blast.

11. Prague, Czech Republic

Sunrise-in-Prague

Why it makes the list?
“Overrated” is the word I most often hear when people refer to Prague, but there is no denying it’s till one the Europe’s great cities. I’ve been twice and the liked even more the second time. You can walk twenty minutes from the center and still be in awe at the architecture and character of the city. That said, the city is plagued with tourists and the nightlife is limited. Czech chicks are hit or miss, but there are plenty of tourists about looking for fun.

Highlight?

Take a walk and admire its old world charm.

Bottom Line

Avoid high season.

10. Budapest, Hungary

cr_budapest

Why it makes the list?
Budapest is a gem. The setting is gorgeous, the nightlife is edgy and in the summer it’s party central. The only thing that let’s it down are the women. While are Hungarian women are hotter than their Western European counterparts, they simply can’t compete with other Eastern European girls. Coming for the like of Poland, Serbia or Romania, you’ll notice a HUGE drop-off in quality. The city is also quite spread out too.

Highlight?

A booze cruise down the Danube is a must. You’ll never get drunk in a more beautiful setting. Also check out the baths.

Bottom Line

One of the world’s greatest cities. A MUST if visiting Eastern Europe.

9. Tallinn, Estonia

0.76214900 1354395271

Why it makes the list?
Tallinn has a romantic old town with a medieval square. It’s a small walkable city with lots of pedestrian streets.The girls are hot (not as good at Latvia or elsewhere in EE, but better than central or Western Europe). The place looks its best in the summer, where beers garden’s abound. Options are limited mid-week, but you can always find a party. Check out Bang Estonia for more details.

Highlight?

Check out the old days festival in Summer. It’s makes you feels like you’ve traveled back medieval time.

Bottom Line

More and more people are discovering Tallinn, get there before it’s overwhelmed by tourists.

8. Krakow, Poland

Cracow-Old-Town

Why it makes the list?
Krakow is home to Europe’s biggest medieval square. I’ve been to Krakow three times and like it a lot. The city is walkable, has a great pub culture, and the local girls are gorgeous. It’s a little touristy, but it’s still a top spot and you can find a party most night, too. For more information, pick up a copy of Bang Poland.

Highlight?

The summer feels likes a constant festival.

Bottom Line

Krakow is the quintessential Eastern European city.

7. Macedonia

skopje-city

Why it makes the list?
Macedonia is still off the beaten track for Eastern Europe. Skopje and Lake Ohrid are both great destinations. Skopje can’t match the beauty of Tallinn or Krakow, but it has a grimy quality to it that I like. It also has a small Muslin influence which makes it a little bit more distinctive from other Balkan capitals. In my opinion, the city is nicer than Tirana, Prinstina, Bucharest and Sofia.

Highlight?

Smoking sheesha and getting high in New Age bar is super chilled. Lake Ohrid in summer is a cool party spot, too.

Bottom Line

I liked it so much I’ve been here three times, but it feels a bit small after a few days. Best for a short stay.

6. Kiev, Ukraine

kharkivgirls001-31

Why it makes the list?
It’s ain’t pretty, but Kiev kicks every other city’s ass for one thing: The women. In my humble opinion, Kiev has some of the best looking women on the planet. Only Belgrade comes close. The secret is out however, so it’s only a matter of time before Kiev become like Riga or Prague. Learn Russian to keep ahead of the competition. Aside from that, there isn’t much to rave about. For more info, Check out Bang Ukraine.

The women.

Bottom Line

Learn Russian before you go.

5. Bosnia and Herzegovina

mostar__old_bridge_by_citizenfresh-d3iitml

Why it makes the list?
I was originally going to put only “Sarajevo” up, but I have to recommend Mostar also. Bosnia is like nowhere in Eastern Europe. The Muslim influence gives it a completely different feel. You might think you’re in somewhere like Turkey or Azerbaijan, except  the nightlife is 10x better! The girls are average for Eastern Europe. For more info, check out my Sarajevo Guide.

Highlight?

The weekend in Sarajevo is rockin’. If you’re there in summer, make sure you check out Aladdin’s cave bar in Mostar, too.

Bottom Line

In a league of its own.

——————————————————————————————-

4. Hvar Island, Croatia (In summer)

f60ae_1675544

Why it makes the list?
People from all over Europe come here during the summer to do one thing: Party. Nightlife is guaranteed The town itself is purty too and . The ratios aren’t great, but if you have decent game you can pick up here with ease. For more info check out my Hvar Island Guide.

Highlight?

Partying till the sun comes up.

Bottom Line

Book well ahead to make sure your logistics are solid.

3. Belgrade, Serbia

Party on Splav

Party on Splav

Why it makes the list?
Belgrade ties Kiev for women, but it’s a nicer city and the people are friendlier. Serbian girls are astoundingly hot and seem to be everywhere. The nightlife is a bit pretentious, but if find the right spots you can have a blast. In summer, all the clubs are on boats called Splavs. For more info, check out my Belgrade City Guide.

The women.

Bottom Line

Nightlife is over-rated, but the girls are certainly not.

——————————————————————————————-

2. Kotor & Budva, Montenegro (In Summer)

681x454

Why it makes the list?
Sexy girls from all over Eastern Europe and Russia come to party here for sun and fun. Not only is this place rockin’, but the old town is utterly adorable. It’s easy to fall in love with its narrow cobblestone streets and quaint town squares. Between Budva and Kotor, I rate Montenegro among the most charming places in all the world. For more info, check out my Budva City Guide.

Highlight?

Partying in Budva and taking in the charm of Kotor.

Bottom Line

Go in summer. Otherwise, it’s dead.

1. Slovenia

copyright-tourism-ljubljanaWhy it makes the list?
Between the Julian Alps and Lake Bled, and absorbing Ljubljana, Slovenia is neck in neck with Montenegro for aesthetics. But when you factor in the friendliness of the locals and the edginess of Metelkova in the capital, Slovenia just takes the lead. The girls may not be as hot as in Serbia or Montenegro, but Slovenes still beat all the other girls in the former Yugoslavia. Plus, they are far more approachable and easy going. For these reasons, I must give the no.1 to Slovenia. For more info, check out my Ljubljana City Guide.

Highlight?

The landscapes and partying in Metelkova.

Bottom Line

All the best ingredients of Eastern Europe mixed together.

Honourable Mentions

I decided to only include places I’ve actually been in the top 13. I contacted some fellow globe-trotters to give their top 10 on the route as well. Here are some other picks from fellow travelers…

• Varna, Bulgaria
  • Odessa, Ukraine
  • Constanza, Romania
  • Poznan, Poland
  • Sofia, Bulgaria

Check out my my Eastern European City Guides!

Agree or Disagree with the list? Am I missing anything?

Leave a comment below and share your favourite places!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

26 Responses to Top 13 Destinations in Eastern Europe

1. JTreezy February 22, 2014 at 11:04 pm #

Im tryna hit up all theses places. Went to Budapest last summer for a week. How’d you get the money to see all these places. I’m black, maybe i could start a black guy in eastern europe blog and get paid to go. I know some of these places are rumored to have neo-nazis. I’m too in love with this region to care. I’m curious why St. Petersburg didnt make the cut.

• Naughty Nomad February 22, 2014 at 11:15 pm #

The list does not include Russia.

• Laceric Towerwood May 5, 2014 at 1:20 am #

The neo nazis are broke frustrated white trash dude your more likely to get killed by hood rats or your own government that those clown rednecks. If ours a black dude you’ll kill it in Atlanta- all the hillbilly southern pussy
      Moving to the big A looking for Mandingo to bomb their hill billy holes- you’ll fine but for me American lizards nauseate me- sociopath scum expecting to get treated like Saturday Barbie cartoon club. It’s all bs out here player partner- keep your pimp hand strong.

2. Sydney Suit February 23, 2014 at 4:08 am #

I highly rated Pristina, Kosovo. Went there after Belgrade and found the women more attractive (seriously around Kosovo university I needed two heads to look at all the girls). Also so cheap and undiscovered yet, and very friendly locals. Apparently the girls there are also “bad Muslims” in that they go out and drink and party. Was only there on a Monday and Tuesday night so can’t recommend any specific places. Also Varna in Bulgaria is amazing, especially combined with the parties at the nearby resort town that are packed with German, swedish and other Scandinavian school leavers.

• Naughty Nomad February 23, 2014 at 3:32 pm #

I’ve been to Pristina twice. The women aren’t bad but the city itself is a bit of a shithole.

3. Jay Trent February 23, 2014 at 11:41 am #

Great list! Will be heading through Eastern Europe at the end of this year so will keep this in mind. What’s the minimum time you’d recommend staying in each of these places to properly check them out? Assuming you wanted to travel through 5 or 6..

4. krauserpua February 23, 2014 at 2:30 pm #

Of where you list, I’ve been to and got laid in Transylvania, Riga, Prague, Tallinn, Krakow, Mostar (well, got laid in Sarajevo after hitting Mostar), Hvar (well, I got laid in Zadar, close enough), and Belgrade.

My impression pretty much matches yours, with minor quibbles over the ranking.

Good list.

5. splooge February 24, 2014 at 9:22 am #

after the ethnic cleansing that happened in the balkans in 95, how to Serbians(women especially) view muslims?

6. djiaz February 24, 2014 at 6:55 pm #

I liked vilnius more than riga and talinn.

• Naughty Nomad February 24, 2014 at 8:15 pm #

It’s ghost town midweek.

7. JD February 26, 2014 at 5:19 am #

Nomad-
    Is it realistic for a guy of 35 years to go to the Summer spots? What cities are better for older guys where the girls admire older men?

• Naughty Nomad February 26, 2014 at 5:54 pm #

35? You’re not dead yet pal. My answer is an emphatic YES!

• JD February 26, 2014 at 8:49 pm #

You Irish cats have so much wit and cleverness-seriously. I wish us Spaniards werent so anal retentive- we could use some of you guys charm and wit. Thanks man!

I just love those albinos, Asians would be next-obviously Latinas and me is like a redneck eating hot dogs every night or a Indian eating curry-old hat and boring. My fetish is a 19 yo Ukranian girl.

8. Lonny February 26, 2014 at 3:51 pm #

Can anywhere in EE still legitimately be referred to as a pussy paradise?

• Naughty Nomad February 26, 2014 at 5:55 pm #

Depends what you mean. For quality, yes. For easiness, it’s not exactly SEA.

9. JD February 27, 2014 at 9:11 am #

Nomad-
    I can’t wait for you to see Southern California and compare that to Eastern Europe. Vegas is full of talent too. I like Seattle and San Francisco girls but they are more homely, and Portland has some fugly going on-check out Facebook profiles for all these cities and let me know on here what you think.

I’d say in the USA-NYC, Miami, Vegas, and So Cal are the places.

10. JD February 27, 2014 at 9:12 am #

PS-From my Facebook searches- Guadalajara Mexico is mind blowing!!! So many calientes its unreal.

11. sebastian March 6, 2014 at 11:43 am #

Cool list!

I`ll skip Poland and Czech, but check out the rest of your list in the next months. Have no time restrictions.

Should I wait with Ukraine, or do you think it`s good to go beside all the trouble they have at the moment?

12. Paul T March 21, 2014 at 11:47 am #

Gents, has anyone been to Mamaia in Romania?

The place looks good as it has plenty of bars / beach-bars / nightclubs etc.

Its hard digging up peoples views on this place so any info will be much appreciated.

By the way Budva is amazing, went last August however its quite hard getting in with the talent there.

13. Ameer May 12, 2014 at 2:02 am #

what about Budva in mid-june?
    is it busy enough to get enjoy?
    thanks

14. Loop May 14, 2014 at 4:37 pm #

Naughtynomad,

that’s a great article. Nice comments, very inspiring.

I have not been in all of the mentioned places, but explored several EE countries/places/cities.

So here are my TOP 3 for EE:

1. Moscow
    Why? The ratio quality of the girls / easiness to pick-up is at nowhere else better. If a girls agrees to the date it is already done.

2. Budapest
    Why? The girls in Budapest are still by the far the hottest I’ve seen in all my travelling. If you go to the right clubs in the summer you will have difficulties to remain calm even a second. – An overload of stimuli. Nevertheless, Buda girls remain difficult to approach. You need a perfect and solid game to get the 10s. Moreover, Hungarians are very pride.

3. Kiev
    Why? Girls are good, although not the level of the beforementioned places. But: They are genuine and easy to talk and approach. No arrogance given, easy to get in touch.

That’s the current ranking, having seen around 10 cities in EE.

Let me know your thoughts.

Best,
    Loop

15. Sir Charles 20 June 16, 2014 at 9:58 pm #

Nomad a question:

I’m visting EE next september (only 1 month). For such a short stay, which cities should I visit on weekends y which ones on midweeks (acording to this ranking). Sadly, no every day is friday night =(.

16. Wow July 18, 2014 at 9:38 am #

Did you just say “ethnic Latvian girls are no prize”… Wowwwwww
    I can’t BELIEVE I just read some shit saying an entire ethic group wasn’t hot.
    What, in the entire, fuck. LMFAO you’re a piece of work man; SMH I hope you get the clap.

~Till then

• Naughty Nomad July 22, 2014 at 9:12 pm #

Definitions:
      Generalization: the process of formulating general concepts by abstracting common properties of instances.
      Idiot: You.

17. AJ August 10, 2014 at 12:14 pm #

Hey guys,

I’m an Indian guy planning to visiting Europe early next summer. I loved this post and have a few questions :

1. Are Eastern Europeans generally friendly towards brown skinned people (especially girls)?

2. I’m a very polite and respectful person and can speak three languages, but is not knowing Russian going to be a deal-breaker?

3. Are there trains available from these cities to connect to others in Western Europe?

4. How much should be my budget for three weeks (approx. in USD)

Thank you so much in advance!

1. Eastern European Girls in 5 Maps | Naughty Nomad - May 6, 2014

[…] finally ticking off every country in Eastern Europe last summer, I recommended my Top 13 Destinations in Eastern Europe. For those interested, I’ve also done a ‘Top 10‘ for West Africa and Southeast […]