I’m a bit late with my resolutions this year, but it’s tradition.
2017, like much of 2016, will be a year balancing work and play..
So how did I do concerning last year’s resolutions? To remind you they were:
- Hit my 100th country by my 30th birthday
- Finish the Mexican pirate book
- Commence secret Project R
So how did I do?
- Check. I visited 8 new countries in 2016, and spent my 30th with friends and family in Iceland. Hell yeah!
- 2/3 Check. The first half of the year I delayed it for personal reasons, but after the reading the Art of War I got motivated and back on track. Currently, I’m around 40,000 words into the first draft of the sequel to Naughty Nomad.
- Absolute Fail. My financial situation degraded rapidly in the first half of 2016, setting back my grand-master plans for at least another year.
Here are my goals for 2017.
1. Finish the First Draft of The Mexican Pirate book by Jun 1st.
Truth be told, I’m a very unproductive writer. I’m extremely slow, often get distracted, and struggle with the process.
I never had an ambition to write books when I was younger. I just had a story that needed to be told. Hence my first book. It’s the same with the Mexican Pirate book. After this project, I honestly don’t know if I’ll ever write another memoir, but if I do it will be many, many years from now.
Jun 1st. First draft. No excuses. Only 20-25,000 words left. If I don’t finish my first draft by then I promise to give away my first book free for a week.
2. Have at least €25k in Savings.
That may not seem like peanuts to some people, but as somebody who spent the majority of his 20’s in debt I feels like a decent stack. I spent all of my cash on travel, women, and booze, and now that I’m 30 I’m taking my future a little more seriously. I’m already most of the way there, and while I currently maintain a very nice lifestyle, I should make this goal pending no disasters.
3. Visit at least 4 new countries
A simple goal, but one that’s getting harder and harder to achieve the more I travel. Colombia is already booked and Canada will be shortly. Other possible destinations include Sri Lanka, the GCC, or basically any other island nation that’s good for a week or two.
I originally wrote 6 new countries, but nowadays I prefer to slow down and take more in. I anticipate a lot of travel in 2018, so I don’t mind a slow year.
What’s your New Year Resolutions?
Take a look at some these other resources for inspiration.
3 ways to make Better New Year’s Resolutions by Return of Kings
How to Keep Your New Years Resolutions By Using Your Reptilian Brain by Danger & Play