The following is based on research from my latest book Naughty Nomad’s Guide to New York City : The Bachelor’s Handbook.
If you’re a single guy moving to NYC (or just visiting) and want to pick up, here’s a little guide to help you decide where to base yourself to maximize the chances of getting laid. The following infograph breaks down sex ratios by neighborhood.
– Sex ratios aren’t everything. As you can see, the best ‘hoods for single males are apparently the Upper East Side (UES) and Brownsville, Brooklyn. However, both areas suck in terms of nightlife. The notable exception to this is Saturday nights on the UES when the bars along 2nd Ave. fill up with young, well-bred white girls.
– Midtown West and Greenwich Village have favorable ratios and plenty of nightlife, but crucially, these areas have a disproportionate amount of gay men, further stressing the demand for heterosexual single males. The map to the right denotes the gayest areas. The area around NYU is Greenwich is especially lucrative, where female students vastly outnumber male students.
– Williamsburg is my top pick for nightlife out of the pink areas. The ladies there aren’t as classy or cute as those in Greenwich, but they give it up easier. The scene there is a little alternative for some, but I’m a big fan.
– Aside from one or two notable exceptions, Midtown East and the Financial District are nightlife dead areas.
– Morningside Heights is another area worth noting. Here we have good ratios, Columbia University and City College. However, the nightlife there is very underwhelming outside the first school semester (September to November).
If I had to boil it down to my top three choices in the pink, it would be:
For a full breakdown of every neighbor mentioned (including venue recommendations and in depth analysis), check out The Bachelor’s Guide to New York City.
* A caveat: If the Lower East Side wasn’t blue, it would win this competition hands down.
Are you a New Yorker?
What’s your opinion? Do you agree?
Leave a comment.