Hanoi City Guide

Moto Madness

Hanoi in a word: implacable.
C.O.H: 3 / 5
Q.O.G: 3 / 5
S.T.L: 2.5 / 5

Beer: Around  €.60 a pint
Bed: €8 for a private  room.
Bud: €5 for a cigarette box.
Board: €1 for a basic meal.
Budget other: Beers get pricey in the high end nightclubs.

Hanoi is moto mayhem. The locals aren’t the most pro-western. Ha long bay near-by is mandatory.

Tila: Ethnically Vietnamese

Vietnamese girls have paler complexions and look slightly more Chinese than the other races in Indo-China. They are attractive, but Veitnamese girls do not exude the warmth of the typical Thai. They are ultra petite like the Filipinas, but they lack the sexy accents and a bigger language barrier exists. These girls know what they what and they are pretty good hustlers. They don’t like Americans; they may act nice for the purposes of potential financial gain, but as far as they’re concerned you  killed Gramma. There is a lot of pick pockets and freelancers at night. My experience here involved attempted murder one night and being robbed another. That said, there is always a diamond in the rough. There are gentle and genuine women if you know where to look. If you’re looking for more friendly Vietnamese girls, head south to Ho Chi Minh.

Nightlife Recommendations

Most of the nightlife is around Hoan Kiem Lake and the Old Quarter.
Nomad’s advice: PUB CRAWL!!!
Jazz Club Minh
Good for a warm up and some live music. You might find more sophisticated locals here.

New century

New century is a big high-end nightclub with lots of girls. Note the ones that approach you are mostly working girls. You might have to shore but it’s difficult to build up emotional connection with these girls, they are pretty hardened. They’re are good girls here too.

Getting High (courtesy of webehigh.com)

legislation: Marijuana is illegal in Vietnam, as well as most other social vices. The penalties in the books are very strict, however the police seems to look the other way or will ask for a small negotiable bribe. The big problem in this country is opium and heroin so marijuana is not the police’s first priority.

Law enforcement: In Hoan Kiem district frequent police patrols were spotted. Be careful when entering night-clubs, you will probably be searched in your pockets by local security agents.

Where to buy marijuana in Hanoi: The easiest way to get it is in Hoan Kiem district (near Hoan Kiem lake). Motorbike taxi drivers (or cyclo riders) will offer you something like this: “Motorbike? Marijuana?”. Since there are frequent police patrols in that area, it seems safer to do all the business during a short ride, where the drivers hands you a pocket of cigarettes filled with weed, you check and pay the price. If you’re staying in a back-packer hotel in the “Old city” ask your hotel guys.  For Thai stick during the summer (the only time it’s available) head down to Tet Bar at 2a Ta Hien, Hoan Kiem District. Outside a young Vietnamese dude named Than hangs out near the motorbikes and he’s got the goods. 50 grams should cost around US$50.

Hanoi marijuana prices: Prices are ranging from 50.000VND to 100.000VND (3 – 6 USD) for a pack of cigarettes filled with weed. Bargaining is a must, since at first sight you will be asked for anything between 10 – 20$. Thai stick 50grams (pressed into brick form) = $50 Laos buds 50-100grams = $40-80

locals here dont understand “marijuana” or “ganja”. You gotta ask for TAI MA

My Hanoi Experience

This story is definitely for another blog. It involved a machete and a Double BJ!.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

17 Responses to Hanoi City Guide

1. Mac October 29, 2010 at 12:05 pm #

Hey I’m in Hanoi now, if you have any updates to this post (esp for finding TAI MA!) I would be greatful! Haven’t had any luck asking motorbike drivers or my hostel staff (staying in the Old Quarter). Any tips for me?

Thanks

• naughtynomad October 29, 2010 at 12:51 pm #

Afraid not Mac, haven’t been there in quite some time. If you find a source let us know.

2. vn March 12, 2011 at 6:40 pm #

Difference between Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City is almost like east and west german in 90′s.. Hanoi is not party city like south vietnamese cities

3. Sam September 12, 2011 at 8:30 am #

Hi Nomad,
    I plan to visit Ho Chi minh next month…
    Any idea… Where to look for party girls? N nice pub?
    How much cost will be for rent girl?
    Need expert advice. Since I’m very new for that city.

• Naughty Nomad September 12, 2011 at 1:01 pm #

I’m not into P4P mate… you’re in the wrong place.

4. Paul October 12, 2011 at 4:19 am #

Sam …. head to “Apocalypse Now” Bar on Thi Sach Street in HCMC late night and you can find all sorts of beautiful women … backpackers, expats, locals, “professionals”, etc. Whatever your tastes are! Just don’t go before 10PM as it only gets hopping later on Monday through Sunday … never a quiet night at Apocalypse Now!

5. Helms December 12, 2011 at 1:22 pm #

I have been there in October & I loved it. The traffic is an organized chaos. I have never been astonished to see traffic out my window. However, everyone is trying to rip you off. Especially taxis. Only get on Hanoi Taxi as their meters are not rigged. as of party wise, it wasnt really ‘happening’. Girl wise, I think they went beyond my expectation. You can definetely get some hotties in this town if you work for it!

6. paul December 14, 2011 at 12:01 pm #

hi NN, been reading your posts for a long time now – also on other forums, think the work you guys do is fantastic and definitely a new market out there. i saw you mentioned you were writing a book, i will definitely be buying this!! a lot of money to be made i believe!! i am currently in nha trang, have you been and whats the situation on the women? just came from ho chi minh, bagged myself vietnamese flag within a few hours of arrival, shame i wasnt staying longer than 2 days as i have got 2 numbers of damn sexy vietnamese girls that i never ended up meeting up with! off to hanoi after here. a post back would be greatly appreciated. thanks

7. jeff March 16, 2012 at 1:45 am #

You were in Hanoi. Very formal and Chinese and western-suspicious. The south is very very different. They like Westerners. The attitude is very laid bak. And the women are funny sweet and very good in bed. Went there 20+times on business. Had Vietnamese girlfriend for 3 years. She was aamazing – petite, beautiful, warm and attentive. Forget Hanoi and the north. Go south young man.

8. Jogie November 5, 2012 at 6:56 am #

Mac ill be on my way to Hanoi Wednesday, I will join you in your hunt!

9. Lostone7 May 27, 2013 at 9:09 am #

I am not sure what City you were in?? I have been based out of Hanoi sense 2006 and umm almost everything you reported is pretty off the mark! Don’t like Americans? Really? wow Pockets searched at the door? So VN girls are hustlers? Where you talking to hookers? your beer and cigarette prices are crazy? Anyway, I have to say we are in two very different places!!

• Naughty Nomad May 27, 2013 at 3:27 pm #

I was there in 2006. This info is no doubt old school.

10. Gary July 7, 2013 at 7:26 pm #

Sorry, this is not the Hanoi I have lived in for the past 5 years. I don’t know how you can say the girls here don’t like or trust westerners. American and European culture is mimicked by all the youth here, and people are very warm and friendly. Especially women. Attempted murder? Robbery? What a pantload, petty theft and clever scams are present but where aren’t they in a developing country? Robbery is theft by force or intimidation, almost unheard of here as is ALL violent crime. It happens but it is rare. I think maybe spend less time smoking weed and more time getting to know the people and city would be a better way to write an article.

• Naughty Nomad July 11, 2013 at 12:08 pm #

We did experience robbery and severe violence.
      I was there many years ago, I’m willing to give it a second chance.

11. Ionut March 5, 2014 at 1:39 pm #

I’m planning a trip to Vietnam and saw this on wikitravel: “Do take note (especially lonely male travelers) that most hotels do not allow you to bring back a local female companion to stay overnight. Inquire about their ‘guest privileges’.”
    Is is true, what’s the workaround this, bribe the reception desk? Was thinking to rent an apartment instead of hotel but worried about safety, what do you think?
    Thanks!

12. Don July 14, 2014 at 3:23 am #

Hi,I’m heading to Hanoi in august,I have a couple of days spare when I first arrive before my trip through Vietnam,Cambodia & Thailand.in my late 50s but looking to meet some nice Vietnamese women for good time,even just one would be nice to show me around.

1. Top 10 countries for girls in S.E. Asia « Naughty Nomad - June 27, 2010